Saturday, August 8, 2009

Snake Field Update

A while back, I wrote a blog about a place I take my dogs to. I call it the Snake Field. Click here for the earlier blog.

The field is supposedly maintained by TECO (Tampa Electric). I say supposedly because the grass has not been cut at all this year.

As of this writing, the weeds are about 3 feet tall. This has made for some interesting walks as I take Bob and Rusty on one of their many walks. Of course, Rusty, takes his time. He is off his leash and he prefers to roll on his back as he slowly makes his way along the way.

Bob, on the other hand, has found a new adventure. He sticks his nose deep into the weeds because he senses the presence of wildlife. He is our resident 'varmint' remover. He has eliminated many a possum and armadillo. His new target are field mice. I know this because as he is sniffing away, I see his intended prey scurry away.

What's funny is that when Rusty finally catches up and starts sniffing, Bob assumes that Rusty has cornered the rodents. Bob will pull away from me as fast as he can and hop through the tall grass until he reaches Rusty. He will push Rusty out of the way and stick his head deep into the weeds.

It makes for some good laughs.

One of these days, he will probably catch a mouse. He is a pretty determined dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment