Saturday, August 15, 2009

The Big Reveal

At my last job (NewHomes), we would have a monthly meeting to review the company financial statements. It was called the 'Big Reveal'. At the same time, we would always have some 'team building' activities. It was always a lot of laughs.

I started off kind of quiet, but eventually my true personality emerged. It was at one of these events, that I pulled off my version of the 'Big Reveal'.

I have always been a Pittsburgh Pirate baseball fan. They were very competitive in the 1970's (winning two championships), and also in the early 1990's. Since 1992, they have been terrible (not one winning season).

Last year, the Tampa Rays, who like the Pirates would always finish last, finally started winning. My wife and I started to go the games and we became fans.

So at the monthly meeting, I stood up and proceeded to tell a 'made-up' story that had people thinking I was leaving the company. Oh, and I was wearing a Pittsburgh Pirate jersey.

I can't remember all the details, but I said something like ...

"I just wanted to thank all of you for giving me the opportunity to work here. What I am about to do is one of the most difficult decisions I have ever had to make. As most of you know, I was born in Pittsburgh and I was a big sports fan. I always think back on a lot of fond memories growing up there. But, now I am in Florida. And, I have a big decision to announce. Its really hard for me to do this, I hope my family will understand".

At that moment, I took off my Pirate jersey. Underneath it, I had on a Rays shirt. And then, I finished my statement.

"So, I am officially announcing that I am switching my allegiance from the Pirates to the Rays".

Everyone laughed and clapped.

It was a lot of fun.

The day of the "Big Reveal".

No comments:

Post a Comment