Sunday, August 9, 2009

A Tragedy in My Old Neighborhood

Last week, a mass killing occurred in the neighborhood I grew up in. A man shot and killed 3 people and himself at a health club and wounded many others.

The LA Fitness gym was recently constructed. I used to work at a nightclub that would have been right next to the gym.

My sisters friend was best friends with one of the victims. The same victim lived a few streets away from my mom.

Click here for the story.

It's another reminder of how we don't know how much time we have. We all need to make the most of the time that God has given us. My desire is to spend my remaining days serving God by ministering to others with all my heart.

Here is a moving poem that was posted on Facebook in memory of the victim I mentioned above:

Heidi Overmier is the mother of Ian Overmier. Heidi was one of many shot on August 4th at the shooting at LA Fitness in Bridgeville, unfortunately she did not make it. We've created this group to show that we care and our hearts go out to the Overmier family for their loss.



If I Knew

If I knew it would be the last time
That I'd see you fall asleep,
I would tuck you in more tightly
and pray the Lord, your soul to keep.

If I knew it would be the last time
that I see you walk out the door,
I would give you a hug and kiss
and call you back for one more.

If I knew it would be the last time
I'd hear your voice lifted up in praise,
I would video tape each action and word,
so I could play them back day after day.

If I knew it would be the last time,
I could spare an extra minute
to stop and say "I love you,"
instead of assuming you would KNOW I do.

If I knew it would be the last time
I would be there to share your day,
Well I'm sure you'll have so many more,
so I can let just this one slip away.

For surely there's always tomorrow
to make up for an oversight,
and we always get a second chance
to make everything just right.


There will always be another day
to say "I love you,"
And certainly there's another chance
to say our "Anything I can do?"

But just in case I might be wrong,
and today is all I get,
I'd like to say how much I love you
and I hope we never forget.

Tomorrow is not promised to anyone,
young or old alike,
And today may be the last chance
you get to hold your loved one tight.

So if you're waiting for tomorrow,
why not do it today?
For if tomorrow never comes,
you'll surely regret the day,

That you didn't take that extra time
for a smile, a hug, or a kiss
and you were too busy to grant someone,
what turned out to be their one last wish.

So hold your loved ones close today,
and whisper in their ear,
Tell them how much you love them
and that you'll always hold them dear

Take time to say "I'm sorry,"
"Please forgive me," "Thank you," or "It's okay."
And if tomorrow never comes,
you'll have no regrets about today.

No comments:

Post a Comment