Saturday, August 22, 2009

How Not to Save Money

When I was living at the Woodlands apartment complex in Tampa after moving to Florida, I met a guy by the pool who was earning some money by doing oil changes for people. So, being the trusting sort of person that I am (naive), I allowed him to work on my Datsun 200SX (nice car, but had no air conditioning).

I guess he did ok. I don't remember having any engine problems.

A while later, I made a bad decision. I found out the car needed brakes and asked him if he knew how to do that. He said, "Yes, I do those all the time". I figured I could have him do it and save some money.

So, he drove to where I worked and proceeded to begin to replace the brakes. Of course, 'dumb Dave', paid in advance. At the end of the day, I walk to my car and saw that it was still on blocks and he was long gone. It turns out, the job was too hard for him. I tried to get back my money, but he was a con artist type. So, I just chalked it up to another life lesson.

Anyway, a friend at work knew a guy who was a legitimate mechanic. They came and towed the car and made the necessary repairs.

I kept the Datsun for a few more months (until summer kicked in). The odd thing is after I traded the car in, I saw it a few weeks later. One of the guys I played basketball with had bought the car (another strange coincidence in my crazy life).

No comments:

Post a Comment