Monday, July 20, 2009

An Uncle Who Cared

When I was growing up I was slow in developing socially. Probably because my best friend (like the movie with Tom Hanks, "Castaway"), was named Wilson. My Wilson was not a soccer ball, but a basketball.

I played with Wilson day and night. I had childhood friends, but not a lot.

As I grew older, I was shy and withdrawn. I didn't come out of my shell until the 10th grade in High School.

During that time when we would see family at various events, my Uncle Frank, always made a point of talking to me and asking me how I was doing. That was special.

Most adults just ignore kids or ask the basic questions (without listening to the answers). My favorite was "How's school?". I could have answered, "I poisoned my teacher today", and they would have eaten another handful of Doritos.

He would also encourage me constantly. No matter how I answered, he would say, "That is great" and then he would add on some advice. I am sure that advice helped me become the person I am today.

He passed away over 10 years ago, but when I talk to his son, my cousin Paul, I always try to tell him how much his father meant to me.

So, the next time, you see a young person who needs encouraging, take the time to listen and give sound advice.

No comments:

Post a Comment