Tuesday, July 7, 2009

How I Lost my Weight

I was very active (and skinny) as a kid. I would play sports pretty much every day throughout the year (even in the snow). Basketball was my favorite, but I would also play baseball, football, etc.

As I got older, I still was at the correct weight for my height. When I moved to Florida in my late 20's, I continued my active lifestyle. I played a lot of tennis, basketball, softball, and golf.

My weight problems started when I became less active. It was accelerated by eating at too many buffets (especially, Chinese). That was a big thing we used to do at lunch when I worked at GTE. So, slowly, I went from 180 to 230.

During that time, I tried many diets, including Atkins and Weight Watchers (point counting). I would lose some weight, but they never worked long term. I needed an experts help.

When I hit 230, I decided I had to do something. A few friends from church had lost weight by going to their doctors, so I decided to do try same thing.

Our doctor had a weight loss program run by Premier Image. I went for a consultation and decided to try their program. The program consisted of eating smaller portions of certain food types at various times throughout the day. I also had to continue my exercise program and they prescribed a pill, called Phentamine. The pill increases a persons metabolism.

Each week, I would go back for a weigh-in and they would review my 'food log'. It took about 7 months, but I slowly reached my goal of 190 pounds. I didn't like the side effects of the pill (dry mouth and anxiety).

After I stopped going to the doctors, I slowly put 10 pounds back on. I then decided that I had to stop gaining weigh on my own (I did not want to go on the pill again). So, with the help of my IPOD, I started to track the calories I was eating.

By simply watching what I was eating, and eating healthier (no snacks, very little desserts, and smaller portions), I was able to lose weight. I also started playing basketball again. I think the cardio made a big difference.

I am now (of this blogging), down to 178 pounds. I also lost over 10 inches around my waist.

My new goal is 175. I may have to quit there. I don't want to have to buy a new wardrobe.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, Dave, for mentioning Premier Image. It was a pleasure working with you and assisting you throughout your JOURNEY. You were an excellent student, if I may call you that, and it shows with your continued success. Keep up the good health.
    Sincerely,

    Kelley Tartaro
    www.yourpremierimage.com

    ReplyDelete