Saturday, July 25, 2009

Rennerdale Memories

When I was growing up, we used to drive to my dad's parents home almost every Sunday. My grandparents lived in an area known as Rennerdale. It was where my father grew up. He was one of three children (he also had a younger brother, Dickey, who died as a young child). His sister Lorna has passed away (she was a huge Pittsburgh Pirate fan). His brother, my Uncle Dale, is doing well. I just visited him a few months ago.

Visiting Rennerdale back then was kind of like visiting Mayberry RFD. They had a country store and not much else. But, we enjoyed our visits there. I also remember spending a few weeks there during some of my summer vacations. My grandparents house was very comfortable. Just an ol fashioned home.

I would help my grandparents with their garden and play with the neighborhood kids. There was also the local pond where kids would fish. Oh, and the Volunteer Fire Department. I think people would hope the alarm would go off to give them something to do.

It was a simple life and a simple time.

But, things have changed in old Rennerdale. A few years back, some developers bought land and started putting up million dollar homes where the corn fields used to be. A championship golf course was also constructed.

But surprisingly, the old country store is still there. So, I guess, some things do remain the same.

1 comment:

  1. We would also ice skate on that pond. Thanks for the post. I have great memories of Rennerdale and the folks that lived there.

    ReplyDelete