Monday, July 27, 2009

The Park Crew

After 10th and 11th grade, I would work during the summer on the Scott Township park crew. Scott Township is a community located in southwest Pittsburgh. My father got me the job. He was a township commissioner. It was one of the most unique jobs that I would ever have.

The other guys I worked with were mostly about my age, maybe a year or two older. We had some adult supervisors, but we overran them.

We would paint benches, pick up trash, and clean the bathrooms (to name a few things). The bathroom job went to the rookie. Trust me, it's not a fun task, especially after a weekend party.

The other main job was cutting grass. We made it into so much fun, it was something we looked forward to. One place we cut the grass was by the township pool (where the high school girls would be). About 5 of us, would get in a staggered line and cut the grass in formation. As we cut the grass, we would do some crazy leg movements. We would also bark out some 'army-like' chants. It must have been hilarious to watch/hear.

The 'cut' grass wasn't the only grass that was seen that summer. I got my initiation into the 'other' type of grass. Being easily influenced, I had to experiment. The place we did our 'recreation' got to be known as 'hippie-grove'.

The adults were not a good influence either. They used to buy us teenagers beer as they used to spend at least one afternoon a week hiding out from doing work. They would drive the trucks to a secret location, drink beer, and sleep the afternoon away.

Your Tax Dollars at work.

It was an interesting job for a 15 year old.

No comments:

Post a Comment