Thursday, July 23, 2009

The Fire Department Told Me To Go Home

I grew up in Scott Township. A community southwest of Pittsburgh. Each year, the local volunteer Fire Department had a carnival to raise money for various things, like firetrucks.

One of the money raising games was a basketball contest. You paid $1.00 and you had to make 3 shots in a row (free throws from 10 feet away) to win a prize. They probably figured the odds were on their side.

When I was about 13, I was already a pretty good basketball player. Shooting baskets at my neighbors for hours at a time (day after day) helped me develop my skills.

So, one night at the carnival, I decided to give it a try. At first, I did ok, winning about 1 out of 3 times and then I got on a hot streak. The more I made, the more people gathered around. And then, people started giving me money. One guy game me $5.00 and I made 12 in a row to win him 4 stuffed animals.

I won so many for my sister, that I lost count. There were so many, we had to store them in trash bags (sadly, they passed away in a flood).

Eventually, they told me that I had won enough and I needed to give other people a try.

The next night, there was no more basketball contest. I had shut it down.

I guess it was for the best, I didn't want to have to think that I was the reason they couldn't get a firetruck. That is why (to this day), I always give to the firemen who have their boot drives.

ps: As I got older, my free throw skills improved. My all time record is 77 in a row.

No comments:

Post a Comment