Monday, September 14, 2009

Return to Basketball

I went to the YMCA last Tuesday with the intention of using the exercise bike while listening to my IPOD. When I arrived, I saw some guys shooting basketball and I thought to myself, "That would be much more fun".

I haven't played full court basketball since I injured my eye (see related story) a few months ago. I hurt my eye playing while basketball at the Y and it required a few surgeries to repair my retina. My eye has healed (although, I still see some small floaters now and then).

Anyway, I decided to make my return to my favorite sport. I also needed to work off the ribs, chicken, potato salad, baked beans, corn on the cob, etc that I pigged out during a Labor Day picnic.

So, I started shooting around and sure enough, within a minute, a have a ball hit my head. Fortunately, no damage was done. Just felt dizzy for a minute.

Eventually, we got enough guys to play some games. I am happy to report that I played well and made most of my shots (even though, I was the old guy on the court).

I was also happy that I did not get winded. I was able to run up and down the court without gasping for air. That is why I like basketball - I like to run and once in a while make a basket.

The nicest part was seeing some of the guys I used to play with. They asked where I had been. 99% of the people I have met at the Y are great and friendly people. That is why I have decided to volunteer at the Y. It is a healthy, wholesome place to go to.

No comments:

Post a Comment