Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Dave's Grouper (almost)

In the early 1990's, the Pittsburgh Pirates actually had a good baseball team. They made the playoffs for three straight seasons. I tried to watch as many games as I could, but the only way to do that was to go to a local pub and ask them to show the games via satellite.

Myself and a Pittsburgh buddy (his name was also Dave) convinced the owner of a local Beef O' Bradys to show the Pirate games. Of course, we were pretty good customers, so it was a win-win situation.

As a side benefit, the food was very good. I would mostly order the wings. One day, I tried the grouper sandwich and it became another of my favorites.

During this time, I had become friends with the owner. I used to tease her about renaming the grouper sandwich on the menu to "Dave's Grouper". She almost did it. I think if the Pirates had kept winning (and I had stayed as a regular), I probably would have been able to convince her.

But, it was not meant to be. Since 1992, the Pirates have set a record as the team with the most consecutive losing seasons.

I still like their food though.

No comments:

Post a Comment