Friday, September 18, 2009

The Interstate Shooter


When you walk your dogs as often as I do, you occasionally come across unusual/criminal activities. Such was the case a few years ago. As I was walking along the road that parallels I-75, I heard the sound of a gun and then 'metal sounds'. As I got closer to the noise, I noticed a kid with a paintball gun hiding behind a bush and firing the gun at trucks as they passed by. His goal was to hit the side of the truck.

As the concerned citizen I am, I decided to try to put an end to the shooting. The nutty teenager easily could have killed someone.

Fortunately, there was a police officer who lived just a few houses away. So, I loaded up the dogs and we drove to the officers home.

As luck would have it, he was home. He came to the door and we explained the situation. Here is where the story takes an unusual twist.

The officer told us he did not want to get involved because he didn't want to cause problems with his neighbors. He gave us a number to call. I thought to myself, this guy must have been absent when they handed out the courage badges.

So, we went home, shaking our heads, as the kid kept firing away. I filed an anonymous report via a police department website.

I thought how this could make an interesting Twilight Zone episode. In my imagination, I could see the kid firing the gun which would cause an accident involving the policeman's family. Of course, there would not be any serious injuries, but the officer would learn that he needs to do the right thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment