Wednesday, October 7, 2009

High School Playoffs

After not making the High School basketball team, the coach asked if I wanted to be a team manager. The manager is the kid who does all the behind the scenes stuff for the team, getting towels, water bottles, etc.

One side benefit was being able to sit next to the cheerleaders on the bus to the away games.

I was in 10th grade, but the seniors treated me well. Except when they played practical jokes on me. Like throwing all the basketballs I was trying to collect down the stairs. Our team that year, led by the Skelley twins, went undefeated in our section and we qualified for the post season playoffs.

The playoffs were held at the Civic Arena (the place the Stanley Cup Penguins still call home).

It was cool to go there and see the locker rooms and walk on the court.

My neatest memory was walking off the court as we finished our warm-ups. My nutty friends started a cheer, not for the team, but for me. Soon, hundreds of people were chanting 'Deebs, Deebs, Deebs' (my nickname back then).

I guess it was my "Rudy" moment.

Our team lost that day, but it was a great season.

No comments:

Post a Comment