Sunday, June 21, 2009

A Different Kind of Fathers Day

This will be my first Father's Day where I won't be able to call my dad and wish him a Happy Father's Day. I will miss doing that. He passed away last December and it still seems unreal.

We used to call each other at least once a week. We both enjoyed sports and would talk about the teams in Pittsburgh. Since his death, the Steelers and Penguins have both won championships and his favorite team, the Pitt Panthers, advanced deep into the NCAA basketball tournament. We would have talked for hours about those events.

He was a good man with many good qualities. He loved to serve the community and he was recently honored by his local township for the work he did to have a major bridge repaired.

He had his faults. We all do (except my mom). As kids, we think our parents are perfect. As we get older, we start to see their flaws.

What I try to do is learn from the mistakes they have made and take the good qualities and try to apply those to my life.

Anyway, I will miss my dad today. I sure loved him.

No comments:

Post a Comment